Divorce Judgement

Sefton Kelly Family Law, can assist in a variety of post-judgement issues, including consultations as it relates to changes or updates to existing law. If an issue has arisen since your divorce judgment or parentage judgment was entered, or you want to determine if the law has changed as it applies or with respect to your case, you may need assistance with the following:

Modification: When Is It Necessary?

Whether the issues in your divorce are settled by you and your spouse or are decided by a judge, some things in your judgment may be modified or changed by a judge. Usually, financial issues such as child support or alimony may be modified upon a substantial change of circumstances since entry of the divorce judgment or parentage judgment. Call for a post-judgement consultation.

Common examples of a change of circumstances are losing your job, earning a significant amount more than what you or your ex-spouse were previously earning, inheriting substantial sums of money, or remarriage.

Other issues involved in divorce or parentage cases, including allocation of parental responsibilities (child custody) or parenting time may be modified based upon what is in the child’s best interests and a substantial change of circumstances. Grounds to change allocation of parental responsibilities or parenting time can include a parent moving away, or the needs of the child changing as they grow older.

Enforcement: When Should The Court Act?

If a person disobeys an order that the court makes in your divorce judgment or parentage judgment there are ways to enforce those orders. Examples of disobedience of an order or violating the terms of a judgment are failure to pay support, failure to turn over property that was awarded, failure to properly follow the terms of the judgment and refusal to allow parenting time that was ordered by the court.

Orders to pay money can be enforced by garnishing wages or bank accounts or by having the sheriff seize and sell property belonging to the person who hasn’t paid. Orders for support, to turn over property and for enforcement of parenting time between a child and parent can usually be enforced by contempt of court proceedings.

Contact An Attorney Today

To speak with one of our experienced lawyers about this or any related issues, contact our office today.

Map & Directions